Not surprising for such popular islands, there is a wide range of accommodation available, from cottage rentals by the week or month to bed and breakfast, several resorts and an inn. It would be unwise, however, to travel to any of the Gulf Islands in the summer or on holiday weekends without reservations.
The clinic on the Penders has medical and dental facilities, although doctors ask visitors to limit their use of the facilities to emergencies only.
An optometrist, and physiotherapist also have offices here. In addition, the Penders offer a chiropractic clinic, massage therapy, acupuncture, Reiki, and other healing and preventive alternatives.
The Community Hall is available on a drop in basis, for coffee and a chat with the locals. Check the bulletin board to see what’s upcoming. Penderites are very proud of their new hall and do their best to ensure it never gets lonely.
Our churches welcome visitors to their services.
- Chapel of Saint Teresa Roman Catholic Church (250) 629-3141
- Pender Island United Community Church (Inter-Denominational)
- St. Peter’s Anglican Church (250) 629-3634
The Penders also have their own Legion hall, which frequently sponsors special events and socials.
The Pender Island Public Library provides many services to the community as well as internet access.
The Driftwood Center is the hub of North Pender Island. Here visitors will find most of their needs met: there’s a post office, pharmacy, liquor store, insurance agency, bakery, deli, grocery store, real estate office, gift store, clothing store and a gallery/book shop. A full service gas station is also available.
- Tru Value Foods, Pender Island’s supermarket is located in the Driftwood Centre, and now offering 8,000 square feet of wide aisles, well stocked shelves, and a deli and coffee bar, as well as lots of parking.
- Southridge Farms on Port Washington Road features health foods, country produce, some bulk produce, a small cafe and video rentals.
- Medicine Beach Market – a small convenience store, next door is the Medicine Beach Liquor Store.
In addition, several other small stores spring up in the summer months to service marina guests and locals:
- Poets Cove Marina store offers fresh provisions, boating equipment and tackle, gifts and snacks
- Otter Bay Marina store also has fresh baking, perishables, coffee, snacks and gift items.
The only gas station on the Penders is found at Driftwood Mall. Auto repairs and towing is also offered here, as well as fishing tackle and licences. Watch your gas gauge, though, nothing is open 24 hours, 7 days a week on the Penders.
On summer and fall Saturdays, a Farmers’ Market flourishes at the Community Hall.